Sunday, December 13, 2009

Away in a manger



I don't know about you, but for me it just wouldn't be Christmas without hearing at least one group of children sing "Away in a Manger" and "Silent Night."

There is something inexpressibly wonderful about the sweet voices of children, isn't there?



The shimmer of lights on the tree this weekend, and the children singing, the gifted musicians in the orchestra and choir performing Handel's Messiah nearly bowled me over, even while I was arranging tray after tray of cookies for the crowd to eat after the performance.

The perfume of those homemade cookies! The swelling of the music!



I can hardly carry a note myself but even I was singing along under my breath when they got to the Hallelujah Chorus. What wonderful music that is!


And then being such a visual person, the lights, the glitter, the beauty of everything...
Well, it just carries you away sometimes, doesn't it?


Then to top off the weekend of holiday wonder, it began to snow this morning! Alison looking out the windows, dressed in her Christmas finery and captivated by the drifting snowflakes made me realize again that this is truly a season of miracles.

And like Alison I want to savor each moment.

Tomorrow we are supposed to wake up to fresh snow. Hurrah!