Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The scent of spring

Anne and Beth and I wandered through Christianson's Nursery today and oh what fun we had.

"Stop me!" I laughed, picking up a gorgeously tempting bare root blueberry.

"Not likely," giggled Anne. Her wagon was as laden as mine and she was fingering a fig with that look in her eye I know meant she was already planning where to plunk this baby in her garden.

Somewhere between the hellebores and the rhubarb roots, around the corner from the blueberries and elderberries and currants, we lost all resolve to be prudent shoppers. All resolve to keep to a budget vanished. 

We plant aficionados were as helpless as most of my friends are in the shoe department at Nordy's. We were dreaming of spring's promise and summer's luxurious decadence. Berries and fruits, flowers galore.


Leave me behind when you go to the mall but if you're heading for the nursery, I'm right with you!


Today, with the promise of early spring in the air and a mild winter bringing only a happy chill, we loaded those wagons down and topped it all off with a trip through the seed racks. Heirloom zinnias and sweet peas! I almost swooned at the very thought.

Time to get the peat pots out and seeded hopefully on the window sills.


I bought so many promises for a happy summer in the garden, so many things I want to include in my artwork. I finally left without a single vegetable seed, just to give myself a reasonable cause to need a return trip.


It's almost spring. And my heart is planted with the seeds of hope and happiness again.
How about yours?