Sunday, February 6, 2011

Details, details, details

I just adore details, don't you?
When traveling, I find walking in ordinary neighborhoods far more intriguing than the tourist attractions.

 

... which explains how I wore out two pair of shoes and happened to spot these gorgeous umbrellas in Greece a few months ago.
I love the monochromatic color scheme, the angles of the wooden supports, and the contrast of that brilliant blue sky.


The gentle curves and shadow play...
that irresistible shade of lime.


Commonplace items seem almost sculptural when looked at with fresh eyes.

Why do I forget to notice similar items at home?


Texture layered over texture




the play of texture and color in windows
 hinges
doors
 along a dock...


I love the homey details you see all over Europe.


Take a peek at the doors! 
Oh my goodness, every door seems to have details galore.

It's enough to make a woman drool in public.


The handles and knobs alone give me a serious case of hardware envy.



And the windows are every bit as delicious.

You see window boxes everywhere (why do we not have this on our house?)
and shutters.
But of all the details to be treasured, no matter where in the world we may be...

better than any of the rest...

far more captivating and complex than anything else

people remain the most precious and fascinating.

Who are the faces behind the windows?
What stories lay beyond the facade?