Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Home to the garden


I have been in Las Vegas, exhibiting at Licensing Show with my dear friend Barb.


To put it plainly, I am not the Las Vegas type.
Not for me the fake glitz and glamor. I was a fish out of water and could hardly wait to get home.


Home.
Back to where everything is real and nothing put on.
Back to where spectacular is the real deal, not a thin veneer.


Fields of raspberries getting fatter by the day.
Back to our own sweet garden, where the peonies are as big as a dinner plate.


Back to the kind of glamor I can relate to. 
The first day of summer brought spectacular beauty as the sun sank slowly.
I was out in the garden pulling weeds. 
Thank goodness I had the camera slung around my neck.


Have you ever heard a hummingbird call?
First you hear the buzz he makes as he passes by your head, then if you are very lucky, you may hear him calling, softly, with a sound something like a kiss.


Oh, what a sight!
Hummingbirds hover and drink from the honeysuckle, dipping and bobbing.


To me, this is true glitz, a show better than anything Las Vegas could even dream of.


We savored every moment, enjoyed the warmth of summer's first evening... 
I am learning more and more to treasure the priceless little things that make life deep and full.

Like hummingbirds at sunset. 


This promises to be the most wonderful summer of them all.

They can keep Las Vegas. 
I prefer an ordinary backyard garden stuffed with quiet miracles.