Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Creative. Living. A challenge for the year ahead.


My goal this year: make every part of my life more effortlessly creative.


Not working on it, simply enjoying, allowing creativity to invade everything.
Embracing mistakes, learning to be gentler with myself, because perfection is so over-rated
and creativity flourishes when we love ourselves as much as we love others.


This kind of creativity doesn't take much time, doesn't cost a penny.

I've been using pretty dishes and napkins for ordinary moments, even when I'm alone, and pausing to notice and appreciate artisan honey, green beans from the garden, the scent of my tea.


Being mindful, living with gratitude and awareness changes everything.
Even dull, rainy afternoons are beautiful and pausing for literally ten seconds to snap a photo and remember the beauty transforms a dark day.


Watch a butterfly. 
Laugh with a child.
Put flowers in your hair and dance.
Take time to walk with someone you love very dearly, because tomorrow may be too late.


We can all do this, can't we?


And there are so many ways to be creative, so many new skills to learn!
The local yarn store has free knitting lessons. Woohoo, I'm all in!


Torch firing enameled beads- yes! I'm back to my roots as a jeweler.
I'll be putting these on Etsy very shortly (watch this space for an announcement.)


It's wonderful to applaud others, too, and to honor them by asking them to teach us. 

When I bought my tulip bulbs and saw a migrant worker planting in the display garden, I asked her in my halting Spanish for tips and wow! Her creativity will be visible in my little garden this spring.


Right in my own little studio, I've been savoring long hours of creative time. 
New mediums, new friendships. Permission to make mistakes and falter.


So here's a challenge for you for the coming year:

Give yourself permission to be creative every day in every way.
Chase the fun of creativity in whatever way brings you joy.


And remember to say "thank you" for all the gifts that surround and inspire.
It will change your life.